"SUPERMOON!"

Tonight the moon will be the closest it has been in 18 years (since 1993). Perigee strikes again! Yes I know I recently made a post (last month) about the Moon in Perigee, but tonight, well tonight's is a bit different. The moon is going to be even closer AND it's going to be a FULL MOON. This event only happens roughly every 18 years. My previous post about the moon in Perigee will explain it a bit better, so click here to read it. If you have read it and/or know what I'm talking about then I will quickly just explain what the difference is tonight.

Tonight the moon will be in Perigee, because the Moon orbits the Earth in an elipse, Perigee happens once a month. Tonight's Perigee is the closest the Moon has been to Earth since 1993, at a distance of 356577 km or 221566.675 mi. Last month on February 19th the moon was 358264 km or 222603.744 mi. That's only about 1,687km or 1048.253 mi. closer, but it's still a lot closer.

There are articles stating that the "SuperMoon" is going to cause hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, and so on. These articles are misinformation on what is going to happen. The most that is going to be affected by this is the tides, and that will take a day or so to take affect. You might not even notice this difference.

I just wanted to quickly bring up this "SuperMoon" today in hopes to get you to step out and take a look up. It will be extremely huge if you catch it as it rises up over the horizon due to illusions and it being a bit closer.

Tonight is supposed to be clear where I live, so you can guess I'm going out with my telescope to view this event. I will post some pictures of the moon tomorrow if I get any decent shots of it worth showing off. If you go out and look at the Moon tonight, leave a comment and let me know if you could tell it's any closer compared to any other Full Moon you've seen.

Comments