The Moon at Daylight

We haven't had much clear skies here in the Adirondacks lately. Been mostly clouds and rain since the beginning of April. Any of my Adirondack readers will shudder in repugnance just thinking about this past month. I've posted a few times since the beginning of April but those have been our only clear nights. It's made updating about my viewing sessions a little scarce but I'm doing what I can. Trying to focus mainly on the viewing in this area to try to grow a local fan base for astronomers in this mountainous region of New York. We've been through some flooding, which is finally receding back into Lake Champlain, and high winds which haven't helped the flooded areas dry up.

This past week we've had some clear skies but not much clarity as far as the transparency and seeing go (remember to hover over the words with the dotted lines for a quick explanation on what I'm talking about). Although I did get out in daytime to try and capture some images of the moon as it was visible from my back deck.

The moon, I never tire of it. Every time it's clear and the moon is out I have to put my sights on it and see it magnified and examine the craters the best I can. I don't magnify it too much because it makes it harder to focus on it. It was quite the site in the daytime. Weird seeing the white moon with a blue background. I also got one nice shot of it at about 74% Waxing Gibbous which is one of my favorite times to view it. Get some nice shadows being cast by the craters making them stand out quite a bit more. Hope you enjoy these couple of shots of the daylight moon, and the night moon.


First shot of the moon in daylight.
Second shot of the moon in daylight, zoomed in a bit on my camera to magnify it.I love this shot, it reminds me of looking out of a port hole of a space ship as the moon comes up over the Earth's horizon

74% Waxing Gibbous which is around my favorite time to look at the moon and it's craters. When it's full it's too bright to get any good detail without good filters.

All pictures edited by @EyeDelights


Comments