Tonight May Be Better For Aurora

It seems last nights aurora turned out to be a dud. Me and a few other people were chatting throughout the night on twitter. A couple people out with cameras attempting to get some hints of Aurora with no luck. Today I woke up and see that the planetary Kp number has been between 4 and 5Kp which 5Kp is a good number for us here in the Adirondacks, and a 6Kp would be even better.

CME coming from the sunspots above. Image from SpaceWeather.com

So tonight if you have clear skies and a view north you may want to give watching for the aurora another shot. I will be updating with the most recent Kp levels via my twitter name @AdirondackAstro or if you don't have twitter you can check my twitter updates to the right.

This image of the Auroral Oval should be (hopefully) updated throughout the night. Not sure how this works, I'm doing a direct link and not quite sure if it will update here along with the site I'm getting it from.



Comments