A Bright Flash in the Sky For New England, New York, and Canada

If anyone happened to see the bright fireball on February 28th, 2012 at roughly 22:15 EST please either let me know, or post your report at The Meteor Bot Internet Query (MBIQ). There was a report of a large Bolide Meteor over the states of New England, Canada, New York, and parts of Pennsylvania.

I was out with my telescope trying out my new motor drive for my mount and my new t-ring adapter. While looking up at the constellation Auriga, scoping out what I wanted to try my camera on, there was a bright flash very white from what I saw, which I thought was just a car flashing their high beams. After a couple minutes of wondering what it could have been I went on to doing what I was doing before the flash. I forgot all about it by the time I came in for the night until I came across this link where I found out it was a bright fireball that had flashed, and caused the same quick bright flash as lightning would during a summer thunder storm. From what I've read it appeared and went from the Northeast to the Southeast, I happened to be looking West-Northwest at the time, and the light bounced off the trees in my front yard. At the same time as the flash there was a plane that flew by heading east, I bet they got a great view, well at least the pilots did.

If you saw it, it wasn't a bomb, and it wasn't a UFO, it was definitely an identified object.


Comments