February 11, 2012 – M81 & M82 Bodes Nebula


Last night I went out in the freezing cold, on wunderground it said it was 9°F but feels like -1°F. I still couldn't resist the urge to put the telescope out and enjoy the sky. Dedication, or crazy. You decide.

I originally planned on getting Mars as the prediction for astronomical seeing wasn't too bad. When I magnified Mars a bit it was definitely not picture worthy conditions. I tracked Mars along for a while through the scope noticing the polar cap.

After Mars I decided to see what my scope could do with 75% moon's worth of light and a galaxy, two galaxies actually. Since they're so close together figure it would be a nice site. I have imaged M81 and M82 previously with my Astromaster 114EQ with the motor drive and the camera bracket afocal. This time with my Omni XLT 150 it was a bit more difficult to image since I was turning the RA knob by hand, which isn't the easiest thing to do. I took about 10 pictures, but only 5 stacked. Can't complain, I didn't expect anything useable from it.

M81 & M82 5x15sec F3.1 ISO400. Hand tracked.

I expect with prime focus imaging, and a motor to track an object this is going to take some really good images.

After going in a couple times to warm up, I noticed the constellation Hercules was coming up. This constellation is home to a couple globular clusters, but what I wanted to see was Comet C/2009 P1 Garrad which is currently between Hercules and Draco. I attempted to image this while hand tracking the telescope, but came up with nothing but a blurry blob (not a fuzzy blob like I want) and star trails.

Comet C/2009 P1 Garrad. Single image.

I'm thinking that this was hard to see due to it still being low on the horizon - about 35° above the horizon - and also due to the 75% moon making it harder to see. Have plenty of time coming up where I will be able to do this comet a lot better. So keep your eyes open for that update sometime in the future. Garrad is my first comet, so I'm excited about what I can achieve with more pictures to stack.




Comments