M1 – The Crab Nebula


The Crab Nebula is in the constellation Taurus. M1 is a supernova remnant and a pulsar wind nebula. The bright supernova was observed by the Arab, Chinese and Japanese astronomers in 1054. Even at 6500 light-years from Earth, and a diameter of 11 light-years this nebula is quite small and dim through a telescope, but starts to show a little bit of detail once you start imaging. Within the center of this nebula is the Crab Pulsar which is a neutron star emitting pulses of radiation from gamma rays to radio waves. The remnants of Supernova 1054 are known as the Crab nebula or as M1 which was the first object listed in the Messier catalog back in 1758.

Through the eyepiece you need your eyes to be dark adapted, or you may over look this faint little fuzzy cloud. Finding M1 is relatively easy as it lies near the star ZetaTauri. Through the eyepiece M1 is very dim and has a bit of an oval shape to it. Through my Omni XLT 150, which is a 6” telescope I couldn't make out any details within the supernova at a magnification of 30x. Stepping up the magnification to 60x or more rendered it almost invisible, as magnifying an object usually reduces the amount of light that enters your eye. For deep space objects less magnification is almost always better, especially for things like dim nebula or dim globular clusters.

Click to Enlarge.

This image above is 3 minutes worth of data at 1600ISO, with 8 dark images also stacked to help remove noise from the cameras sensor. I took two separate stacks of these images and had Rachael Alexandra combine and edit them a bit further to bring out a little more detail in the image. Image taken with a Canon 350D Prime Focus on the Omni XLT 150 on March 11, 2012.


Comments

EJMaine said…
Hi, I wanted to say thanks for this post on finding M1. I have the Orion AstroView 6 and have tried many times to find M1 in the 2 yrs I've had the scope. But on the 19th of March I found it and your post helped me know what I was searching for! Thanks!
Michael Rector said…
You're very welcome! I'm really glad my post and explanation helped guide you to finding M1. It is quite elusive, and not as bright through the eyepiece as I had expected. Also a bit smaller too.