M101 – The Pinwheel Galaxy


Messier object 101 also known as the Pinwheel Galaxy is a face on Galaxy in the constellation Ursa Major, near the handle of the big dipper. M101 is a relatively large galaxy that spans a diameter of 170,000 light-years which makes is 70% larger than our own Milky Way Galaxy. This galaxy reveals several spiral arms that show some nice detailed dust lanes. The galaxy is asymmetrical which is believed to have been caused by a collision with another galaxy in the past. Back in August 24, 2011 a Type Ia supernova, SN 2011fe was discovered at a magnitude 17.2 and reached 9.9 at it's peak

On March 21, 2012 I went out and found M101 which through the eyepiece from my light polluted skies was an extremely dim object. Easily could have missed if I wasn't on a determined hunt to find this galaxy. Once I found it I had to make sure I wasn't just seeing things, so I connected my camera to the telescope to take a long exposure image of it to see if this was truly M101. Once I confirmed the object I made sure camera focus was as good as I could get it, and I started a series of shots to stack to bring out more and more detail.

M101 - The Pinwheel Galaxy. Click to embiggen.

This image is composed of 45 images at 30 second exposures, ISO 1600, prime focus on my Omni XLT 150 with a Canon 350D. These images were taken over a course of two separate nights. I also used 30 dark frames, and 20 bias/offset frames. I haven't completely mastered flat frames yet so I didn't include the ones I took as they would not have enhanced the image at all. Stacked the images in Deep Sky Stacker and post processed the image in Gimp. I hope Gimp starts allowing 16-bit images soon so I don't have to turn my 16-bit tiffs to 8-bit in order to edit them. Stacking images of this galaxy were much easier than my previous stack of Comet Garradd a few days earlier.


Comments

Nerdislav said…
Aw man I have to buy some better equipment, this is waaaay cool :D
Michael Rector said…
Thank you very much, glad you enjoy it. Also with better equipment you need quite a bit of patience as it's a time consuming thing to do. Well worth it though!