Sun Filter and Sunspots


Last week I received my solar film, which is just the filter with no filter cell to hold it to the telescope. This is where a little bit of creativity comes in with making something that will hold the filter to the scope. The film comes with instructions, but I was lacking the correct cardboard material to make it the way they describe. Since I'm on a tight budget I made use of the cardboard boxes that the telescope came in, and made a nice solar filter cell. Hows that for recycling?!



I've been out with the telescope a few times to give this filter a shot. It goes on tight and stays on pretty good. Am looking for a way for extra security in holding it on. Although it fits tight, I want it to fit even better.


From left to right: 1486, 1484, 1482

Here is my first stack of the sun, using 7 images stacked in Registax and edited in Gimp. I am still working on perfecting my focus while trying to image the sun. I got a lot of images, but only a very small handful (read: very small handful) that are in a decent enough focus.


Comments