96% Waxing Gibbous Moon

Another image from July 14, 2019 is our ever changing moon. If you've ever looked up at the moon, and then looked up at it the next day, you'll notice it is in a different spot on the sky, and that the amount of the moon visible is different. If the moon is between a new moon and a full moon, you'll notice that more moon is visible each day and you'll also notice that it rises later each day. Likewise, if the moon is between full and new moon, you'll notice that less of the moon is visible each day, and that if rises later and later after sunset.

This image we are looking along the terminator of a 96% Waxing Gibbous Moon. Waxing is when more of the moon is visible (Waning would be less of the moon being visible), Gibbous is the shape of the moon which is less than the full circle of a full moon.


July 14, 2019 96% Waxing Gibbous Moon.

July 14, 2019 96% Waxing Gibbous Moon Labeled.
I took a 60 second video of the moon along the terminator, and ran it through PIPP to stabilize and convert the video, then I brought the new video into Autostakkert where I analyzed, and stacked the video using the best 15% of the frames. I chose to use only 15% because the quality of the video was not too great, and dropped significantly after the 15% point. Then I brought the stacked image into Registax for sharpening via wavelets. Afterwords I brought that image into GIMP where I did some final touches to the image, and added labels to many of the craters in the image, along with the bit of Mare Humorum visible in the image.

Unfortunately I didn't put much thought into my moon imaging or else I would have imaged Apollo 11 landing site to join the hype of the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. The good part about that is that I'll have plenty more opportunity in the future to image that section of the moon, and even get images as the terminator is nearby the landing site. The bad part is that it won't be a part of the hype going on currently with all the celebration of the anniversary.

Comments