M57 on June 7, 2019

I'm finally getting around to editing and posting some of my images from early June. I got out on both the night of June 7, and the night of June 8th. On the first night I managed to image Messier 57, also known as the Ring Nebula. I know that I seem to image and post this nebula every year, but I can't help myself. It is such a great object to image, and there's always something new I discover when editing images of this object.

M57 is a planetary nebula, which is a bit misleading because it has nothing to do with a planet, and everything to do with an exploding star. The nebula is the glowing remains of a sun-like star, and the tiny dot in the middle of the nebula is the stars hot core, known as a white dwarf, which is all that remains after the red giant star that it previously was exploded 6,000-8,000 years ago. Nicely placed between the stars Sulafat and Sheliak in the constellation Lyra, and the nebula is approximately 2,000 light years away from earth with a magnitude of 8.8. This object is best viewed in the summer months. M57 has a radius of approximate 1.3 light years, and is expanding around 1 arc second per century, or 20-30 km/s.

This image consists of 100 images at 60 seconds each for a total of 1 hour and 40 minutes of light collection. Stacked along with 50 dark frames, 40 flat frames, and 100 bias frames. All preprocessing and post processing done in PixInsight.


M57 June 07, 2019
Gear:
Celestron 8" SCT
CG5 Advanced Series Go-To
Orion Starshoot Autoguider
PHD Autoguiding Software
Stock Canon T3i

Comments