Cassini and Aristoteles Craters Moon Sketch

 These moon sketches were done on the night of March 31, 2020. 

I don't do a lot of moon sketching. Honestly it is a lot of artistic talent needed in order to do it, and a lot of time spent on one object. In my experience I don't know if I could sketch a moon crater and surrounding areas in less than an hour. So if you want to do a sketch of the moon be sure you are as comfortable as possible!

Sketching the moon is one of those things I always want to do, but at the same time I keep putting it off because of how difficult they can be trying to get the shadows just right, and trying to get the placement of everything before shadows start moving and changing up on you. With all of that said I am quite happy with my final results of these two crater sketches.

Cassini Crater

Aristoteles Crater

The best way I have found to attack a moon crater sketch is by doing a light layout of the crater itself and marking off where the shadows are. Then you want to place the shadows early on so that you can focus on some of the other details of the sketch without worrying about the light changing up too much. 

If you would like to see a time lapse of this sketch check out the video below.

Cassini Crater Sketch:



Aristoteles Crater Sketch:


Comments