Sketching Globular Cluster M53 at the Eyepiece

 M53 is a globular cluster in the constellation Coma Berenices. I did this sketch on the night of March 27, 2020 with nice clear skies and relatively good seeing and transparency. I used my Celestron 8” SCT and my Vixen Zoom eyepiece at 24mm. The field of view at this magnification had a few relatively dim stars throughout, but not many stars from the globular cluster seemed to stray too far from the dense core.

Globular Cluster M53 in Coma Berenices

Another globular cluster making use of the stippling technique in order to place the dense stars in the core of the galaxy. This was a tightly packed globular cluster so I had to focus on placing a lot of stars in the core and not creating too much of a gap between stars even along the edge of the cluster. There seemed to be a bit of a trail of stars that extruded beyond the circular core on the northeast limb. This is another object I would like to revisit with better practice in sketching.

If you would like to see where this globular cluster can be found in the night sky and see a time lapse of the sketch be sure to check out the video below.



Comments