Sketching M57 the Ring Nebula at the Eyepiece

 On the night of June 16, 2020 I aimed my 8" SCT at the constellation Lyra to look at one of my all time favorite planetary nebula, M57 the Ring Nebula. This is such a fun object to view and if it is above the horizon and I'm out with the telescope I will almost always give it a quick look. I used my 8-24mm zoom eyepiece for this nebula, but didn't need to zoom in at all, so I left it at 24mm. 

This nebula shows the final stages of a star similar to our own Sun, and it sits around 2,000 light years away from Earth. With a magnitude of 8.8 given it's small size, around 1.3 light years in diameter, it is relatively easy to see in moderately sized telescopes.

M57 the Ring Nebula in Lyra

This sketch was done on black canson paper, using a white charcoal pencil for star placement, a kneaded eraser to dim the stars and give the stars a bit more depth, and a white pastel pencil and blending stump to place the nebula.

If you would like to see where to find this object in the night sky along with a time lapse of me sketching this object at the eyepiece check out the video below:



Comments