Sketching the Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction at the Eyepiece

Well I was pleasantly surprised to come across a bit of clearing in the skies on the evening of December 22, 2020. It is the day after the closest approach of Jupiter and Saturn for this conjunction, but there was no chance of me getting this sketch yesterday! This didn't happen without some issues. Again, like in the video where I took images, I had some power issues with the mount. Then I had to deal with the mostly cloudy skies, and all the trees and their branches. So I got the best sketch I could in the 40 minutes I was out with the telescope, and the short tiny breaks in the clouds here and there. Basically I spent 40 minutes with my eye at the eyepiece looking at clouds just waiting for a glimpse of the two gas giants as they do their dance in the sky.


Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction Sketched on December 22, 2020


Jupiter and Saturn Conjunction Sketched Labeled on December 22, 2020

Overall this sketch wasn't super difficult. I did have to rush when it did clear up because I knew it wouldn't last long. I just sat at the eyepiece staring at nothing until they popped into view only to disappear again.

I also should have sharpened my colored pencils. They were way too dull and hard to get them to color exactly where I wanted. Sorry for the messy sketch!

If you'd like to see the video I put together when making this sketch be sure to watch the video below:




Comments