Sketching Copernicus Crater at the Eyepiece

 On the night of February 21, 2021 I had some clear skies so I decided to get the telescope up and running for my first night out sketching a moon crater at the eyepiece with black paper. I have done a few moon crater sketches in the past, but they were all done on white paper, so it was a bit strange getting used to working on black paper focusing on the light spots rather than the darker regions.

This sketch took nearly an hour to do at the eyepiece, and since it is February you can expect some fun temperature changes which dropped around 10 degrees in that time frame. While I go out to the telescope prepared for cold weather, I don't think there is much you can do to keep very warm when you're sitting still at the eyepiece. By the end of this sketch I was pretty cold, and couldn't bring myself to attempt another crater, or to expand beyond just Copernicus.

Sketch of Copernicus Crater

If you are interested in seeing a time lapse of this sketch be sure to check out the video below:



Comments