Supermoon Pictures

Pictures I took of March 19ths "supermoon." For those that are not sure what the "supermoon" is look at my previous post, by clicking here or scrolling down, for more information.

A few of the pictures of the moon were behind the trees in my backyard so they obstructed the view slightly. Unfortunately due to the East from my backyard being blocked by a couple houses and some trees I was unable to get it as it rose above the horizon. These pictures of the moon were taken while it was close to zenith (zenith is the direction pointing directly "above" a particular location). Pictures edited by Rachael Alexandra @EyeDelights on twitter. Some of the pictures I zoomed in with my camera when viewing through the eyepiece to get the moon even larger. Enjoy the pictures, and click on them to enlargify and view in all their wondrous glory!


supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moon
supermoon, perigee, full moonThis last one is my personal favorite.


Comments

Great photos :) my favourite is the 2nd last one .
It was a bit too cloudy to see it very well here.thanks for posting them!
ropcorn said…
Wow! That is amazing photos! I love that I can see so many details on the moon. Beautiful!
Anji said…
They are fascinating. We went for a walk the same night and saw the moon as the sky was clear.

There was a beautiful moonset this morning
Michael Rector said…
@IWASNTBLOGGEDYESTERDAY - It's hard to pick a favorite, but that last one just the way it's coming out of the corner is really cool. I kept watching the moon go from one side of my view to the other, then I'd move the scope and watch again. It never gets old.

@ropcorn - Thank you very much! The moon is definitely a beautiful site when it's magnified like that. You can see more details in craters when it's a half moon or less.

Anji - Did you happen to see it when it rose? Since I couldn't see it I had to ask others, I was told that it was a bright red color. Really wished I could have gotten images of it like that.
stefani said…
These photos are amazing! I got to see it briefly when it started to rise. It was a pretty orange-y color.
Anji said…
No, we went out too late to see it rise. Setting it was golden.
Michael Rector said…
@Stefani - Thank you, glad you enjoyed them, and you got to see it rise.

@Anji - I can imagine the golden color was quite a pretty sight to see.
Rosemary said…
We went out to see it, too, but trees kept us from seeing it when it rose. It lit up the whole yard!