Sketching M104 the Sombrero Galaxy at the Eyepiece

 On my night out on March 20, 2021 I went into midnight and started this sketch of M104, in the constellation Virgo, in the first hour of March 21. This galaxy is one I have always seen images of, but I have never pointed my telescope at it, so it was my first observation, and my first time sketching it. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this galaxy through the eyepiece, but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with the view I had. The bright core of the galaxy expanded out into a bubble shape with the dark dust lane cutting through near the center of the galaxy. I was fine with the fact that this field of view wasn't densely packed with stars because it really helped with focusing on the main target, M104. This was quite a fun sketch to do of a very cool looking galaxy. If you have clear skies and haven't pointed at your telescope at the Sombrero Galaxy then I would highly recommend giving it a shot.

M104 the Sombrero Galaxy in the constellation Virgo

For more information on where this galaxy is located in the night sky along with a time lapse of this sketch being done at the eyepiece be sure to check out the video below:



Comments