Sketching the Moon 002 - Gassendi and Gassendi A

Here is my second moon crater sketch of Gassendi and Gassendi A on the night of November 8, 2019. This time I decided to do a time lapse of the sketch so you can see the process I'm using to do my sketches. This being only my second time sketching the moon it's still a bit rough, but hopefully they get better as I get more practice sketching what I'm looking at.

Gassendi and Gassendi A 

This impact crater has been filled in from lava flow from Mare Humorum which left only the rim and the multiple central peaks above the surface. While the outer rim remains mostly circular the smaller Gassendi A intrudes into the northern part of the crater. The southern part of Gassendi is quite flat in comparison to the rest of the rim. The lighter sections within the main crater are rilles that criss-cross along the crater floor.

Diameter around 110km, depth of 1.9km, and the rim height varies between 200 meters and 2.5km.



Comments