Sketching Galaxy M94 at the Eyepiece

 This sketch of M94 was done on February 22, 2020. This galaxy is also known as the Cat's Eye Galaxy and can be found in the constellation Canes Venatici. This face on spiral galaxy lies 16 million light years from Earth.

In the eyepiece this galaxy was relatively dim I was unable to make out much detail other than just a fuzzy patch in the sky. The core was a bit brighter than the rest of it, but I was not able to make out any of the dust lanes in this galaxy from my light polluted skies.

M94 Spiral Galaxy in Canes Venatici

Not many stars in this field of view, and the galaxy just sort of faded into the background. I had a hard time showing exactly how dim this galaxy was. I hope to revisit this at another time with more skills of sketching at the eyepiece and see if I can do it a bit more justice.

If you'd like to see where this object is located in the sky and a time lapse of this sketch, check out the video below.



Comments