Sketching NGC2392 the Eskimo Nebula at the Eyepiece

 This sketch of NGC2392 the Eskimo Nebula was done on the night of March 27, 2020. This planetary nebula can be found in the constellation Gemini.

Another object in the night sky that I had never viewed through the eyepiece until I sat down at the telescope with some paper and pencils to sketch objects from my backyard. I have always enjoyed planetary nebula and while they're small, a lot of them are quite bright and take well to higher magnification. So to really get a good view of this object I bumped up the magnification until it was taking up a good portion of the eyepiece.

NGC2392 the Eskimo Nebula in Gemini

With the magnification bumped up to the max my zoom eyepiece will go I was able to make out the bright inner core of this nebula, along with a bit of the dimmer outer halo giving it the look of a hood around a face. I was also able to make out what I believe to be the central star to this planetary nebula. Even at this higher magnification there were more stars than I would typically expect from such high powers.

If you would like to see where this object is located in the night sky along with a time lapse of this sketch check out the video below.



Comments