Sketching C/2020 F3 NEOWISE with Binoculars

 On July 24, 2020, I made a last minute decision to try to sketch comet NEOWISE from my backyard. I had some trees to contend with, and only a short amount of time to sit down and sketch this object. It was a bit of a rush job, but I couldn't let this comet get away without sitting down and doing a sketch of how it looked through a pair of 7x50 binoculars. This is the first comet I have ever sketched, along with the first naked eye comet I have ever seen, so aside from the pictures in the previous post I just had to sketch it! As we know the Earth rotates, and the comet was already close to getting eclipsed by the trees surrounding my house, so I only had a total of 12 minutes to do this sketch. Some time was wasted trying to find the best spot in the yard to do this sketch and moving my chair, sketching gear, and binoculars all over the place. 

Sketch of comet C/2020 F3 NEOWISE

Once I was finally in a good position I quickly did my star placement, and got the basic structure of the comet placed, then after it got lost in the trees I added whatever detail I could to the sketch. This was done on black canson paper, with white charcoal pencil for star placement, and white pastel pencil to place the comet and it's bright tail.

If you'd like to see a time lapse of me sketching this with my binoculars be sure to check out the video linked below:



Comments