Sketching M52, NGC7635, and a Nova at the Eyepiece

 Recently there was a discovery of a Nova in the constellation Cassiopeia. This nova happens to be located very close to two deep sky object; the open cluster M52, and the emission nebula NGC7635 also known as the bubble nebula. Typically I wouldn't point my telescope to an area of the sky just to sketch a nova, but since there were two other objects of interest that I could fit in my field of view I figured I'd have a go at sketching these objects while also including this nova. 

M52 and NGC7635 in Cassiopeia

The two red lines mark the recent Nova

I have sketched M52 in the past, but I have never had much luck getting the bubble nebula. While I still had trouble, I was able to pull out the slightest bit of nebula with the help of the Orion Ultrablock filter, but I attribute not being able to see it due to the 45% lit moon. 

If you'd like to see where to find these objects in the night sky along with a time lapse of this sketch be sure to check out the video below:



Comments